Wednesday night's Yomiuri - Hanshin game featured 28 strike outs. Some interesting facts about that:
- the Giants struck out 15 times / at least 1 batter struck out in each inning
- the Tigers struck out 13 times / at least 1 batter struck out in each inning other than the 3rd
- a total of 10 pitchers made appearances in the game (5 Giants / 5 Tigers) and each struck out at least one batter
- 28 strike outs tied a Central League record for second most strike outs in a game
- the most strike outs in a Central League game came in September of 2002 when the Yokohama Bay Stars and Hiroshima Carp combined for strike out 29 times.
...Kazuki Kondo has given up 20 home runs (tied for first in the PL with 2 other players), walked 70 batters (leads both leagues) and has given up 76 earned runs (leads both leagues).
...A frustrated Tatsunori Hara was upset that Shun Tono gave up 2 runs in the 1st inning.
"As an athlete, not being able to quit smoking represents a larger weakness," said Hara. "He needs to get stronger."
Or... Maybe he just had an off-night and this has nothing to do with him not being able to quit smoking? And what's up with the quick hook? I know it's an important game, but with 9 straight games on the schedule, you're going to need as many rested arms as possible.
...And finally, the Swallows break-out of their 9-game losing streak with a 6-2 victory over the Bay Stars.