I was invited to attend Tuesday's Hanshin Tigers vs Yakult Swallows game at Jingu Stadium by an acquaintance I met through my blog. As close as I live to Jingu Stadium, I haven't had much of any chance to attend any games this season because of a) time and b) money.
So I jumped at the opportunity to go and below are some images I managed to take during the game.
I took a bunch more images that you can check out over here.
Now, for some quick thoughts about the game.
- Attendance was abysmal. I can't believe how few Swallows' fans there were at the game. Even my gracious guests were surprised to see the pathetic number of Swallows' fans in the stands.
- Attendance by Tigers' fans, however, wasn't a problem. The tickets we had placed us on the third base side of things, right smack dab in the middle of the Tigers' den. Quite literally. Every time the Tigers scored a run, we would be fenced in by cheering Tigers fans that were leaping up and down in absolute joy.
- Yoshinori once again had trouble in the early innings. And he never really managed to get himself settled.
- The Swallows are really hurting right now. Miyamoto and D'Antona are both hurt. And Aikawa is going to be out for 4 weeks. This is not how you want to enter the last week or so of the season.
- From the 5th or 6th inning on, the Swallows looked like they had pretty much given up. The general mood of the club appeared to be, "here we go again." At least that's the general feeling I got.
- Fujikawa actually stepped up to bat in the top of the 9th, but didn't swing at a single pitch. After the at bat, he turned to the ump and got the ball as a souvenir.