Welcome to Yakyubaka.com

Nippon Professional Baseball – in the red for second consecutive year

by on Nov.11, 2009 @ 10:34 pm, under NPB

The Nippon Professional Baseball League announced that it has ended the fiscal year (10/2008 - 9/2009) 32M yen in he red.  This is now the second consecutive year that the NPB has ended in the red.

In July, the league calculated it's potential losses at 280M yen (about US$3.1M).  A big portion of that was cleared when Japan won the WBC and received US$2.7M in prize money.  The fact that last year's Nippon Series went 7 games also helped.

But with no WBC prize money for next season, the NPB is currently predicting losses of up 300M yen.

In other money matter news...

...The Hiroshima Carp may have ended up in 5th place, but they still managed to draw 1,873,046 fans to their new stadium.  That's more than what they drew in 1979 when they won the Nippon Series (about 1.4M fans).  The Energia Economic and Technical Research Institute estimates an economic impact of about 18.5B yen.

...The NPB announced ticket sales for the Nippon Series at 1,281,696,000yen (6 games), of which:

To be split amongst the managers, coaches, and player - 119,318,601 yen goes to the Giants; and 78,545,734 yen goes to Fighters

Both teams receive 280,836,134yen

300M yen goes to the NPB

I think the remaining money all goes toward paying off expenses during the Nippon Series

Incidentally, 1.28Byen is about US$14.25M.  And for those wondering about the breakdown, here it is according to Sponichi (I tried to find the actual contract but could not):

Expenses for the Nippon Series will be deducted from total ticket sales over the first 4 games.  The remaining money will be split three ways: 16.8% to the winning team to be split amongst the manager, coaches, and players; 11.2% to the losing team, to be split amongst the manger, coaches, and players; 48% to be split equally amongst the two teams; and the remaining 24% goes to the NPB.  From the 5th game on, 63% goes, in equal shares, to both ball clubs and the remaining 37% goes to the NPB.

...The Softbank Hawks and Rakuten Eagles both put down security deposits of 2.5B yen to the NPB when they entered the league.  That money is supposed to be returned to each club after 10 years time.  But according to current guidelines, if the league ever declared bankruptcy (for whatever reason), neither club would be allowed to get their 2.5B yen back.  To that end, the Softbank Hawks have re-submitted a proposal that could help prevent that from happening.