I usually do not post things from the gossip magazines because it can be hard to tell what is real and what isn't, but there were a two that caught my eye, both of them Shukan Post articles. Take from them what you will.
- Hiromitsu Ochiai (CHU) told all his players to be confident during their salary negotiations because there were more than enough teams out there willing to sign them. He also allegedly said he was going to leave the team in tatters.
- Takashi Toritani (HAN) apparently does not want to stick around with the Hanshin Tigers for the rest of his playing career because he does not like the harsh fans at Koshien.
- Kenta Kurihara (HIR) put out strong vibes that he might exercise his FA option because he wanted to see what kind of reaction that might get. When he found that there was not as much interest as he thought there would be, he decided to wait until next season.
- Takahiro Arai (HAN) was apparently interested in becoming an FA as well, but may have decided to stay because there was little to no interest from other teams.
- The posting fee and salary for Hiroyuki Nakajima probably will not be very high, especially after the year Tsuyoshi Nishioka had.
- An MLB scout is quoted as saying that Munenori Kawasaki is too scrappy and that batters like him usually do not make it in the Majors. Regarding Norichika Aoki, he may know how to hit the ball and could even compete for a batting title, but he is not the type of outfielder teams look for. He may be in the US$3M per year range considering how other Japanese outfielders have performed over the years.