Various headlines about Toshiya Sugiuchi from November 30, 2011:
- Nikkan Sports reports that the reason why talks with the Softbank Hawks' broke down was because of their new salary assessment system. Sugiuchi was reportedly offered two deals: a four-year deal worth 1.6B yen and a one-year deal worth 450M yen. Of the two, he was most interested in the one-year deal, but ultimately decided not to accept it because he did not agree with the team's salary assessment system (he was pushing for a change).
- Team director Itaru Kobayashi plans on speaking to team owner Masayoshi Son and team president Kazuhiko Kasai for suggestions on what to do next.
- The Hawks have been speaking to Sugiuchi since May and offered him the two deals some time in July.
- Sugiuchi called both Sadaharu Oh and Koji Akiyama to inform them of his decision. Oh told reporters he did not think it would be possible to persuade Sugiuchi not to leave.
- Sports Hochi notes that DeNA could make a strong push to sign Sugiuchi. They list DeNA's money and Kimiyasu Kudo as reasons why he might want to join the Yokohama Bay Stars.