Shohei Tateyama had surgery to correct a blood flow problem in his right hand in November an required a total 46 stitches (right fingers, right palm, right elbow) and told reporters on Sunday about his five-point rehab plan.
- practice gripping the ball
- begin playing catch on 1/5
- begin training in Hawai near the end of December, run 15km a day
- toss first bullpen session on 2/15
- return to the active roster two weeks into the season
Regarding the first step, he is currently using a sponge ball and will move up to a tennis ball once his hand heals a little more. From there, a rubber baseball, a softball, and finally a regular baseball some time in January.