Updates on Yu Darvish from 12/16/2011:
- Nikkan Sports reports that the winning bid may have gone over US$50M (they quote Jon Heyman).
- Dallas Morning News' Evan Grant tweeted, "The 'buzz' is that Toronto had whopper of offer on Darvish. Many reasons for Jays to bid more than $50mm. Believe Rangers bid. Prob. in $40s."
- The New York Posts' George A. King III writes that the Toronto Blue Jays are the favorites.
- CBS Sports' Danny Knobler reports that the Nippon Ham Fighters will probably wait to make an announcement until just before the deadline.
- Sponichi wonders how much money will be shaved off potential salary with posting bids that may have gone above US$50M (with some reports mentioning US$70M as the high end) and whether or not it will be enough.
- Daily Sports notes that six teams may have placed bids based on various US reports - New York Yankees, Texas Rangers, Toronto Blue Jays, Chicago Cubs, San Francisco Giants, and Seattle Mariners. They also mention US reports that counted out over ten teams, like the Boston Red Sox, LA Angels, New York Mets, San Francisco Giants, Minnesota Twins, and Baltimore Orioles.