Yu Darvish updates from February 28:
- [Daily Sports] Darvish was seen wearing a red sleeve on his right arm during practices on Sunday. Rangers' pitchers have been using the sleeve because it keeps the arm warm. Greg Maddux spent some time getting to know him.
- [Daily Sports] Darvish will be starting an exhibition game against the San Diego Padres on March 7. He will most likely pitch around two innings.
- [Daily Sports] Darvish faced five minor league batters and threw thirty-three pitches during batting practice on Monday.
- [Sponichi] Darvish faced eight batters and threw thirty-three pitches. He also shifted the protective screen in front of the mound and showed better command of his pitches (the net apparently got in his way the last two batting practices).
- [Nikkan Sports] Former Nippon Ham manager Masataka Nashida dropped by training camp and watched Darvish toss batting practice.
- [Sponichi] Saeko posted an update on her blog entitled, "Best Friend." The post includes a photo of her with Darvish. Darvish posted an update on his blog about how Spring Training is going so far.
Nikkan Sports has posted comments from Darvish's press conference on Monday:
How was your day today?
It was very good.
Could you expand on that a little more? What was good about it?
The feeling in my finger tips and my body movements are improving.
How much did you put into workouts today?
About 120%. (laughter)
You are not used to pitch with a protect net in front of the mound, what are you thoughts?
Well, I had some difficulty throwing with it the last time and the time before that. So I shifted it a little to improve my view and it made it easier for me to throw.
What did you focus on as batting practice pitcher?
The only thing is just making sure my body moves the way I want it to. And today it was moving much better than the last time.
Your have a splitter and change. Are these pitches you threw in the past?
I threw the splitter two to three years ago but have not thrown it all over the last two or so years. I have always thrown the change, but I had a good feel for it during my last game last year so I have maintained that.
You worked with an MLB baseball during the off-season, but now you are here and the climate is different. How does the baseball feel?
They are taking the sheen off the baseballs so they are very easy to throw. I get a lot of movement as well.