Updates on Yu Darvish from February 3, 2012:
- NHK will broadcast Darvish's exhibition game start against the San Diego Padres on March 7 (US time) on BS1. The broadcast will begin at 4:30am on March 8 (Japan time).
- After team workouts on Thursday, Darvish stayed back and played some catch with Hajime Watabe (interpreter/international scout) on flat ground. The distance between Darvish and Watabe expanded little-by-little until they were at a max distance of about sixty to seventy meters. From there, the distance was closed. When the two were at about twenty meters apart, he had Watabe squat and Darvish threw sixteen pitches, including off-speed pitches. Darvish threw about fifty baseballs when the two were playing catch at various distances so he threw the ball about seventy times in all. The Rangers have accepted this as part of Darvish's routine. (Sponichi, Nikkan Sports)
- Darvish pitched in an intra-squad game on March 2 and tossed an inning.
- He faced four batter and did not allow a hit or a run. He walked one and struck out one.
- Nikkan Sports mentions that at least one radar gun clock Darvish at 96mph (about 155km/h).
- Darvish threw twenty-one pitches, twelve of which went for strikes.
Darvish's Intra-squad Outing (Nikkan Sports):
Ian Kinsler - Three straight balls followed by two strikes. Full count, fly out to left on slider.
Elvis Andrus - strikeout swinging on a low and away pitch.
Josh Hamilton - walk
Adrian Beltre - ground out to second on fastball away.