Tsuyoshi Shinjo appeared on TBS' JobTune tonight and revealed a number of interesting things. Some of this stuff may already known, some may not. In either case, I thought it might be of interest.
- Had a hard time concentrating during games. Only focused with runners on base and during situations where there was a chance he could become a hero. Katsuya Nomura was the one manager that saw through his tactics.
- Once hit a grand slam against the Yakult Swallows to tie the game and send it into extra innings. But he was concerned about a four-way date he had scheduled at 11pm and apparently threw the game -- he purposely let a fly ball hit in his direction dunk in to push the game-winning run across the plate.
- He did not play hard during high school. Wanted to go to the Yomiuri Giants in the first round; was severely disappointed and frustrated he was not drafted until the 5th round. Worse, he was drafted by the team he hated the most, the Hanshin Tigers.
- Almost did not sign with the Tigers, but father convinced him to try it for three years -- if it did not workout, he could quit and join his father in the landscaping/gardening business.
- When he decided to head to the US, he only wanted to play in New York. Apparently because it was "funky."
- Currently lives in Bali. Built his own motocross track and has aspirations of becoming a motocross racer.
- Ended by saying he felt motocross was fifty times more interested than baseball and that he could probably get himself back into starting form for baseball within six months.
Tags: Tsuyoshi Shinjo