The Japan High School Baseball Federation released some numbers on schools participating in regional tournaments for this year's Summer Koshien.
- 3,985 high schools are participating in regional tournaments, down twenty-nine from last year.
- This is the first time the number of participating schools dropped under 4,000 since 1989.
- The all-time high of 4,163 was set in 2002 and 2003. The number of participating schools has dropped each year since then.
- There are thirty-one mixed teams -- not enough players (eleven teams), school reorganizations (nineteen teams), Tohoku earthquake (one team).
- Kanagawa leads all regions with 190 participating schools. Tottori has the fewest with twenty-five.
Source: Sponichi 7/11/2012