News and notes on Hideki Matsui, from July 27, 2012:
- According to Sanspo, if Matsui decides to stage an NPB comeback, there is a good chance it will be with the Yomiuri Giants. Sanspo also mentions that the Giants are gauging his interest through indirect channels.
- A separate Sanspo report contains the following quote from team rep, GM Atsushi Harasawa: "[Matsui] is still a player that is covered by MLB rules. I do not think it would be appropriate for us to make any comments about him." When asked if he was paying attention to what was going on, he replied, "He is a former Giant so I am curious/worried about what happens to him. I of course hope he does well over there."
- Nikkan Sports adds that the Giants are likely prepared to sit down with Matsui, whenever that moment might arrive. However, if he wants to return to the NPB this year, the deadline is July 31 (NPB rule).
- The Softbank Hawks do not appear interested in Matsui. "We have not made contact with him. There are many possibilities until July 31. If he goes on the market, then we will consider our options. But I think he still wants to play in the Majors," said head of player development Shigeru Ishiwata. Source: Nikkan Sports 7/27/2012
- Yokohama Bay Stars' manager Kiyoshi Nakahata on Matsui: "My desire to see him finish out his career in Japan has not changed. During the off-season, I let it out that I wanted him on our team, but things have changed between then and now. We have played through more than half a season and now is the time to give younger players a chance. We have past our time limit and the timing is just really bad. Source: Sponichi 7/27/2012
Tags: Hideki Matsui