Hiroshima Carp at Yokohama Bay Stars
Top of the 9th, runners on first and second and one out.
Shun Yamaguchi on the mound for Yokohama.
Tsubasa Aizawa in to pinch-hit for Kam Mickolio.
Yamamguchi threw a 3-2 fastaball (148km/h) up and in that hit Aizawa in the head. Aizawa dropped to the ground and remained there until a stretcher (and ambulance) took him off the field. Play was paused for about twelve minutes.
"The ball hit the area under the left eye. [Aizawa] was conscious. I cannot say anything until after his evaluation." said Hiroshima GM Kiyoaki Suzuki. Source: Sports Hochi 8/2/2012
Yamaguchi is the fifth CL pitcher (seventh overall) to be ejected from a game this year for throwing a dangerous pitch.
(Youtube videos not mine)
UPDATE @ 11:33pm -
A couple updates:
- The Bay Stars turned down the hero interview out of concern for Aizawa. Source: Sponichi 8/2/2012
- Yamaguchi: "I am very sorry for hitting him in the most dangerous of places. ... Is Aizawa ok? The only thing I can do is pray for a quick recovery." Source: Sponichi 8/2/2012
- Kenjiro Nomura: "It was near the face, apparently straight on from the front. [Aizawa] was conscious." And Kiyoshi Nakahata: "[Aizawa's] eyes were open. I heard they called the ambulance as a precaution." Source: Mainichi 8/2/2012
UPDATE 8/3 @ 1:07pm -
Aizawa was diagnosed with a fractured nose. Other tests did not reveal any problems with brain activity. Aizawa was not hospitalized and was allowed to return to the team hotel (his nose was taped up). He is scheduled to undergo another evaluation today in Hiroshima. Source: Sports Hochi 8/3/2012
A couple other notes:
- Aizawa's batting helmet was cracked (I think one of the replays up above shows that as well). Source: Nikkan Sports 8/3/2012
- There was a lot of bleeding. Source: Nikkan Sports 8/3/2012
UPDATE 8/3 @ 7:46pm - Aizawa was re-evaluated today and cleared of any additional problems. He will likely require three to four months for a full recovery. Source: Sports Hochi 8/3/2012