Welcome to Yakyubaka.com

Tsuyoshi Nishioka received offers from more than two teams (Lotte, Hanshin, Orix)

by on Nov.06, 2012 @ 5:04 pm, under NPB

Tsuyoshi Nishioka met with the Chiba Lotte Marines yesterday.  He also has plans to meet with the Orix Buffaloes and Hanshin Tigers.  Source: Nikkan Sports 11/6/2012


Sanspo has posted parts of the Q&A from Nishioka's press conference on Monday:

What are your feelings right now?

Lotte still needs me and I could feel that.  I am very grateful.  This will be a very difficult decision because they are the team that helped me become the player I am.

Any changes to your feelings?

Yes.  To be needed by the team that helped establish you as a player, I think that team needs to be considered the most.  And there is really no reason to turn them down.

Will you listen to all offers?

The moment I decided to return, I felt I wanted to listen to all offers.  Regardless of whether I sign, I want to listen to all offers.  This kind of opportunity does not come often.  I also do not know which path is right and whether I succeed depends on me.

Is there are position you want to play?

The most important thing is whether a team needs me.  However, I have only played second and short so I think those two [positions].

Will you remain even-keeled until you meet with all interested teams?

I will stay level until I meet with all teams.  I will not make my decision based on money.

Source: Sanspo 11/6/2012


Lotte may have offered Nishioka a two-year deal worth an estimated 400M yen.  The base salary is apparently 170M yen (no change since his last contact with Lotte) a year with the rest being performance bonuses.  Souce: Sports Hochi 11/6/2012

Sponichi thinks Lotte may have offered him a two-year deal worth an estimated 300M yen.  They also note that the Tigers may have offered a two-year deal worth more than 500M yen.  Source: Sponichi 11/6/2012

Nishioka was also apparently happy that Naoki Matsumoto, the former-scout that was in charge of him back when he drafted, attended the meeting.  Source: Sponichi 11/6/2012

Daily Sports has also posted the Q&A from his press conference, but it is a little long.  I do not have the time to translate it now, but may come back to it later.  Here are a few things that were mentioned: there is no set deadline for his decision, other than it will take place after he meets all teams that are interested in him and has had a chance to think; he does not appear to be thinking about going back to the US at this point; he has received offers from more than two teams; he has been back in Japan since October 19.


The Hanshin Tigers are a little concerned Nishioka might back out.  To that end, they plan to hold a meeting on Wednesday to discuss what else can be done to secure his signature.

The team could meet with Nishioka as early as the 9th.

Source: Nikkan Sports 11/6/2021, Daily Sports 11/6/2012


The Orix Buffaloes will meet with Nishioka within the next few days as well.  Source: Nikkan Sports 11/6/2012

Daily Sports notes they are scheduled to meet on the 7th.  Source: Daily Sports 11/6/2012

Assistant team director Ryuzo Setoyama could also get involved in the negotiations.  Source: Sponichi 11/6/2012