[If you are looking for more Otani information, be sure to check the Shohei Otani tag]
The Nippon Ham Fighters met with Shohei Otani and his family at a hotel in Iwate today.
- Otani is hoping to make a decision some time this week. He did not speak to the media, but the following statement was given to the media: "They addressed my concerns and I am grateful. I would like to inform the team of my decision some time this week because I do not want to cause any more distractions."
- Otani's father did speak to the press and said his son seemed a lot more open-minded about the Nippon Ham Fighters. It seems he also felt that his son was worried about all the fuss he was creating for the manager and the organization.
- The Fighters reportedly did offer the number eleven. Money amounts were also apparently discussed.
Source: Nikkan Sports 12/3/2012
- Otani was likely offered the max amount on salary and the number eleven.
- Otani may have been concerned about the problems he might cause if were to change his mind about heading to the Majors right away.
- The Fighters came away feeling a little more positive than prior meetings.
Source: Sponichi 12/3/2012
- Before parting, Hideki Kuriyama shook Otani's hand and said, "I will really be looking forward to your reply."
- This will likely be the last meeting between the two sides.
- Otani's father was quoted as saying, "A decision has yet to be reached. He has not been able to take that first step yet."
Some of the things Otani reportedly brought up during the meeting:
- He was not sure if it was ok for him to change his mind after saying he was going to the US.
- He was uncertain about how beginning his career as a pitcher/position player/hitter would work.
Source: Mainichi Shimbun 12/3/2012
Kuriyama was quoted as saying, "There were some things he was still thinking about, so I explained it to him. Going both ways means being a hitter and a pitcher. I think he can do it. [If he decides to join,] I want to create an environment that is easy for him to play in."
Source: Jiji Press 12/3/2012
Otani's father is also quoted as saying, "I think he is thinking about joining the Nippon Ham."
Source: Yomiuri Shimbun 12/3/2012
Other media outlets are more or less reporting the same thing: