The Yomiuri Giants clinched first on Sunday.
- Tatsunori Hara, Shinnosuke Abe, and Tomoyuki Sugano made appearances in a joint press conference after the game.
- Hara recorded his sixth pennant as manager of the Giants. There are only three other managers in franchise history that have won more: Tetsuharu Kawakami (eleven), Shigeru Mizuhara (eight), and Sadayoshi Fujimoto (seven). Coming into the game, he was tied with Shigeo Nagashima with five.
- Hara was tossed into the air eight times after the game.
- The Giants spent only six days out of first place this year.
- Tomoyuki Sugano is the second rookie in franchise history, since the start of the two-league format, to be the winning pitcher on the day the Giants clinched a pennant. The other was Minoru Aoki in 1955. He is also the second rookie in NPB history to start and win on the day his team clinched a pennant. The other was Yoshimi Ebara in 1950.
- The Giants went through 3,000 bottles of beer and 120 bottles of champagne. Carbonated water was prepared for under-aged players. Everything was gone in about thirty minutes.
- Shuichi Murata wore a Winnie the Pooh costume, Ryosuke Miyaguni a beer girl costumer, Jose Lopez a Gachapin costume, and John Bowker a Mukku costume (Gachapin and Mukku).
- The Giants are selling a number of items to commemorate their victory.
NPB commissioner Ryozo Kato released the following comment:
Congratulations to the Yomiuri Giants for winning their second straight pennant and thirty-fifth overall. They got off to a great start with a 7-0-1 record and once they made it back into first half-way through Inter-league play on June 13, they never looked back. Team captain Shinnosuke Abe kept the veterans and young players together. The team appears to have grown even more since last year. Tatsunori Hara has done a great job leading the team to six league pennants in his ten years at the helm.
Source: Daily Sports 9/22/2013
A number of stores will be celebrating the Giants' first place finish with victory sales.
Mitsukoshi Isetan Holdings will be running sales, dubbed Giants Festa, at thirty-nine of their stores across Japan. The Nihonbashi Mitsukoshi will be running a three-day sale that begins on Monday.
Seven and I Holding will begin three-day sales at their Ito Yokado stores on Monday. Seven-Eleven stores will also celebrate with a three-day sale that starts on Monday.
Source: Sponichi 9/22/2013