The Chunichi Dragons held a press conference to introduce Motonobu Tanishige as their newest manager.
Sponichi has posted portions of the press conference:
How did you feel when they offered you the position?
I was a little surprised they picked me. There was a small part of me that did think I might be asked as some point. I felt if I [turned down the offer because I felt I could not do it], then [that mentality to seep into] everything else.
What about the difficulties of being a player/manager?
That is what everyone else thinks. I have not tried it yet. I think I will be able to say something about it once I have experienced it.
The new GM [Hiromitsu] Ochiai also recommended you.
We worked together for eight years. I think he knows how I think and I feel I have at least a small understanding of Ochiai's thoughts on baseball. I think based on that, I will be able to share my opinions with him.
What kind of team do you want to manager?
I want a team full of players that know what to do to win and know what kinds of things lead to losses. If you can shutdown the opposition, you can win. That is the kind of baseball I want to play. As a player, I thought about winning a championship every year. That will never change.
Source: Sponichi 10/10/2013
Other general notes:
- There were some in the organization that were against bringing Ochiai back so soon, especially since they announced they were parting ways with him as a manager because of rising salary costs and declining attendance figures. The organization was concerned that hiring him might be an admission of making a mistake. To ensure things went smoothly, Chunichi also made a number of changes at the top, which included naming a new team president/acting owner.
- Ochiai will be in charge of everything that has to do with player development and scouting. He will not have any say in financial matters -- he will be given a budget and will have to work within that.
- Team owner Bungo Shirai initially asked Ochiai if he was interested in becoming an adviser. The latter countered by asking if he could be named general manager.
- Ochiai recommended Tanishige for the manager's position.
- Regarding the coach staff, Shigekazu Mori will likely return for a second stint as head coach. Chunichi is also looking into former coach Hatsuhiko Tsuji, former Yokohama pitching coach Yui Tomori, and Takahiro Saeki.
UPDATE 10/11 @ 2:18am -
Ochiai will be in Nagoya on Friday to meet with team officials. They are expected to talk about his role with the team in greater detail and finalize his contract.
Source: Nikkan Sports 10/10/2013