The NPB held a twelve-team representatives meeting on Tuesday to discuss the posting system. Officials from the NPB and MLB are expected to resume telephone negotiations within the next few days. NPB Secretary General Atsushi Ihara told reporters they were able to work out how they wanted to proceed, but mentioned little else since discussions were still ongoing.
Rakuten Eagles President Yozo Tachibana took part in the meeting as well.
The latest on the posting system from the New York Post's Joel Sherman:
... One person briefed on the matter said he believed that if something is not resolved in the next 7-10 days, the probability of having a system this offseason all but disappears, because MLB teams need to know sooner or later whether to budget for the chase.
Officials for the two sides and the Players Association met in person last week, and were expected to continue talks this week by phone. MLB officials have been determined to try to lower the fees transferred from their teams to Japanese clubs as part of the process to gain exclusive negotiating rights, and have indicated that the days of giving more than $51 million to a Japanese team simply for the right to then negotiate with Matsuzaka or Yu Darvish is gone.
MLB has a current proposal that involves a max threshold of just $20 million. In this scenario, MLB teams could put in a blind bid from nothing to $20 million, no more. What would happen if multiple teams bid $20 million – which would almost certainly be the case with Tanaka – has not fully been determined. However, the likelihood is the Japanese player would get to pick with which team he wants to negotiate.
Japanese officials are said to be strongly against this system, feeling it does not pay their teams enough for the player.
Source: New York Post 12/4/2013