Masahiro Tanaka updates from Sunday, January 12, 2014:
- Tanaka returned to Japan on Saturday after spending about fifty hours in Los Angeles -- four days, two nights.
- He got a physical and then met with at least six MLB teams.
- Over thirty reporters were at the airport in Los Angeles (he avoided the media by using a separate check-in counter) and Narita (he did not respond to questions by the media).
- The trip to the United States was most likely about getting the physical out of the way to address any concerns teams might have about his health.
- Teams most likely did not present any specific contractual terms during their meetings with him. Discussions likely focused on things like team environment and facilities.
- He will resume him training in the Kanto region until the 17th.
[UPDATE @ 3:19pm]
Sports Hochi believes it might come down to three teams: New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers, and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Source: Sports Hochi 1/12/2014
The Dodgers will reportedly go "all-out in their efforts to sign Tanaka, saying they and certainly won't be out-bid" according to a tweet by USA Today's Bob Nightengale on January 11.