|Hayata Ito||2/7||23||Four over the fence. Nikkan Sports 2/7/2014|
|Shintaro Fujinami||2/7||26||Two over the fence (7th and 10th swing, both out to left). Daily Sports 2/7/2014|
|Daiki Enokida||Bullpen||2/7||212||Nikkan Sports 2/7/2014|
|Seung Hwan Oh||Bullpen||2/7||61||Fastballs and sliders; first session during camp. Sports Hochi 2/7/2014|
- Ten television cameras and about 200 fans and members of the media watched Oh's bullpen session on Friday. Source: Sponichi 2/7/2014
- Tsuyoshi Nishioka avoided extra fielding and batting practice over the years because he was worried about getting hurt. He plans to drop that policy beginning in the second block of camp. Source: Daily Sports 2/7/2014
- 4th round draft pick Ryutaro Umeno could play in a practice game against Nippon Ham on the 11th depending on how he does during a batting practice scrimmage on the 9th. Source: Nikkan Sports 2/7/2014, Sports Hochi 2/7/2014
- Yutaka Wada was unsatisfied with the showing from the younger players during the first block of camp. He was hoping to see them push a little harder and show a little more life. Source: Sanspo 2/7/2014
- A Hanshin employee was involved in a car accident caused by slippery roads due to rain. The car, a rental, suffered major damage, but the employee was not hurt. No players were riding in the car at the time. Source: Sanspo 2/7/2014
Kazunari Tsuruoka got sick on Wednesday (2/5) night and was examined at a hospital in Yomitan, Okinawa on Thursday. He did not participate in practices on Friday and rested at the team hotel. The Tigers announced that he was diagnosed with influenza A.
Nishioka also got the day off on Friday. A team official told reporters he was resting at the team hotel because he was not feeling well. His influenza test came back negative.
Source: Nikkan Sports 2/7/2014
There was early fielding practice before workouts on Friday (first time since the start of camp). INF/Base-running Coach Nobuhiro Takashiro hit grounders to Ryota Arai and Naoto Nishida at third. OF/Base-running Coach Koji Yamawaki hit grounders to Hayata Ito and Masahiro Nakatani at first.
Source: Daily Sports 2/7/2014
Kosuke Fukudome's 2014 Sanspo Tigers' Promise: hit at least one home run against every team in the Central League, plus record at least one RBI against every team in the Pacific League. If he succeeds, he gets a fishing trip. If he fails, he becomes a Sanspo reporter for a day.
Fukudome managed to accomplish this feat twice in the past: in 2005, he hit home runs against Yokohama (9), Hiroshima (6), Yomiuri (5), Hanshin (3), and Yakult (1), while driving in runs against Lotte (5), Rakuten (3), Softbank (3), Nippon Ham (1), Seibu (1), and Orix (1); in 2005, he hit home runs against Hiroshima (8), Yakult (6), Hanshin (5), Yomiuri (5), and Yokohama (2) while driving in runs against Softbank (8), Rakuten (7), Seibu (6), Nippon Ham (4), Lotte (3), and Orix (2). Inter-league play series was six games long in 2005 and 2006. It is now four.
Source: Sanspo 2/7/2014
The Tigers will be hold Tora-kons (match-making party) at three home games at Koshien Stadium this year: May 17 vs Yokohama; June 7 vs Orix; and September 20 vs Chunichi. There are two requirements: participants must be between the ages twenty and thirty-five; and participants must come in pairs of the same sex. Additional details can be found at the announcement link below.
Source: official announcement