Randy Messenger tossed his third consecutive shutout victory at Koshien Stadium earlier today and became just the third player in franchise history to accomplish the feat. (Box scores: April 29 vs Hiroshima, May 11 vs Yomiuri, May 17 vs Yokohama) The other two:
- Minoru Murayama in 1962 (vs Yomiuri on July 28, vs Kokutetsu on August 1, and vs Hiroshima on August 23) and 1966 (vs Chunichi on May 17, vs Hiroshima on May 28, and vs Yomiuri on June 8)
- Gene Bacque in 1965 (vs Sankei on June 16, vs Chunichi on June 22, and vs Yomiuri on June 28)
Quotes from Messenger's Hero Interview:
- I feel great. Anytime you can hold a team to three hits and throw a complete game, it's a great feeling.
- Just kept the ball down. Made my pitches when I had to. That's pretty much it.
- I don't know, Koshien kyujo ichiban.
- I feel great. Like I said, anytime you can throw a shutout, especially in front of our home fans, it's a great feeling.
- They did a great job. Our team stay patient and we came through when we had to. Imanari came through and did a great job.
- Just keep carrying over what I've been doing. It's nice to keep pitching like I am, the team keeps playing great behind me, the defense especially. So, just try to keep it going.
Source: Daily Sports 5/17/2014
FYI: Matt Murton recorded his 743rd career hit in the 4th inning and tied Randy Bass's franchise record for hits by a foreign player.
Source: Nikkan Sports 5/17/2014