Yulieski Gourriel played in a Ni-gun game against the Seibu Lions at Seibu 2 Stadium on Wednesday. It was his second Ni-gun game since arriving in Japan.
Gourriel went 2-for-4 at the plate:
- 1st inning, runner on first, one out - single to center
- 3rd inning, none on, no out - fly out to short
- 4th inning, runners on second and third, one out - fly out to right
- 7th inning, none on, no out - double to left; stole third with one out
On defense, Gourriel got the start at at third and shifted to second in the 5th. He helped turn a double play at second. He was replaced on defense in the 7th.
Gourriel is slated to join the Ichi-gun team for practices on Thursday and is expected to make his debut at third, batting third on Friday against the Nippon Ham Fighters at Yokohama Stadium.
- Yulieski Gourriel is trying out a number of bats. He has used a different bat each day he has been in Japan. He used a Japanese bat on Tuesday. It was thirty-four inches at 880 grams. He told reporters the bat felt a little softer than what he used in Cuba and that he wanted something a little harder. Source: Nikkan Sports 6/4/2014
- There are some indications that Gourriel might be having some trouble adjusting to Japanese culture, food, and media, that could ultimately tie into concerns about his conditioning/stamina. Source: ZakZak 6/4/2014