Shohei Otani started a game against the Hanshin Tigers at Koshien Stadium on Wednesday.
A few notes:
- It was his first official pro start at Koshien Stadium.
- He topped out at 160km/h for the third start in a row. If was the first time he hit 160km/h twice in one game: third pitch to Mauro Gomez in the 2nd and third pitch to Ryota Imanari in the 2nd. He became the first Japanese pitcher to hit 160 at Koshien Stadium. The previous high of 158km/h was set by Ryota Igarashi on June 3, 2004. The overall record at Koshien of 161km/h was set by Marc Kroon on July 19, 2005.
- He had a perfect game until Yamato hit a two-out single to left in the bottom of the 6th. He left the game after eight innings with a one-hit shutout still intact.
- He developed a cramp in his right calf in the 8th inning. He left the field for treatment with two out and returned. He got Imanari to fly out to left on a 155km/h fastball.
- He set a new career high with eleven strikeouts. Of the eleven strikeouts, ten were swinging.
- He threw forty-eight fastballs. All of them were 150km/h or faster.
- He did not walk a batter.
- He is 4-0 over his last seven starts and is 6-1 in eleven starts for the season.