- Shuichi Murata became the fortieth player in NPB history to reach the 300 home run milestone during Friday's game against the Hiroshima Carp. The home run came in the 5th inning off Kenta Maeda. Source: Sponichi 8/1/2014
- Tatsunori Hara would like to go with a six-man starting rotation in August, but he could stick with five starters if he is unable to find a reliable sixth arm. Possible starters for the next six games (beginning on Friday): Tomoyuki Sugano, Tetsuya Utsumi, Kan Otake, Yuki Koyama, Toshiya Sugiuchi, and Ryosuke Miyaguni. Source: Sanspo 8/1/2014
- Shinichi Murata has been splitting time as batting coach and battery coach since May 20. With Shinji Hata's assignment to Ichi-gun battery coach on Thursday, Murata will be able to go back to be being a full-time batting coach.
- Shintaro Fujinami struck out seven in a row at one point during his start against the Yokohama Bay Stars on Friday. He joined Masaaki Koyama (1956), Minoru Murayama (1960), Yutaka Enatsu (1971), and Atsushi Nomi (2011) as the only pitchers in franchise history to strike out seven in a row. The Central League record of eight was set by Takashi Suzuki in 1960. The NPB record of nine was set by Takao Kajimoto (1957) and Masayuki Dobashi (1958). Source: Daily Sports 8/1/2014
- Left-handed pitcher Shoya Yamamoto was taken off the active roster on Friday because he was ineffective against left-handed hitters. Source: Sanspo 8/1/2014
- Takashi Toritani hit into two double plays during Thursday's game against the Yakult Swallows. It was the first time he hit into two double plays in one game during his career. Source: Nikkan Sports 8/1/2014
- Nomi dropped another start on Thursday and became the first pitcher in either league to lose ten games this season. He is in the middle of his worst losing streak (six games) and has not won a game since May 24. The ten losses tied a career high, set in 2012. Nomi also became the first Japanese Hanshin pitcher to record four consecutive season of 100 or more strikeouts (2011-2014) since Kei Igawa (six times between 2001 and 2006). Source: Sanspo 8/1/2014 ... When Nomi lost ten games in 2012, it was during a game against Chunichi on September 22. The last Hanshin pitcher to reach ten losses before anyone else in either league was Minoru Iwata on July 28, 2012. Source: Nikkan Sports 8/1/2014
- Yamato (left abdominal oblique) resumed outdoor workouts on Thursday. He did some light running. He told reporters he still felt pain while running, but not as much as before. Source: Sanspo 8/1/2014