- Ernesto Mejia tied a franchise record by striking out in eight straight trips to the plate -- from his last at bat on Tuesday until his third at bat on Thursday. He avoided tying the NPB record (not including pitchers) with a single to center in his fourth (and last) at bat on Thursday. The franchise record was set by G.G. Sato in 2006. The NPB record was set by Teppei in 2006. Source: Sanspo 8/7/2014, Nikkan Sports 8/7/2014
- Yuji Kaneko (24) has reportedly been seeing Fuji TV reporter Yurika Mita (27) since last fall. Source: Sponichi 8/7/2014, Sponichi 8/7/2014, Sponichi 8/7/2014 ... Kaneko admitted his relationship with Mita to reporters on Thursday. Source: Sanspo 8/7/2014, Nikkan Sports 8/7/2014, Sponichi 8/7/2014
Chiba Lotte Marines
- Seiya Inoue hit a home run against Ni-gun Nippon Ham on Wednesday. It was his third home run in as many games. Through Wednesday, he was 55-for-150 with nine home runs, thirty-four RBI, and a slash line of .367/.422/.593 in forty-two Ni-gun games. He was added to the active roster on Thursday.
- The Marines scored six runs in the bottom of the 9th for a walk-off victory against the Rakuten Eagles on Wednesday. It marked the eighth time in NPB history a team overcame a five or more run lead in the bottom of the 9th with a walk-off victory, first since Rakuten against Seibu on September 4, 2010; and the second time in franchise history, first since August 2, 1983 against Nippon Ham. Source: Nikkan Sports 8/7/2014
- The Hawks have used fourteen different starting pitchers this season. The other teams in the Pacific League: Rakuten eleven, Orix ten, Nippon Ham ten, Seibu ten, and Lotte nine. Stats through Wednesday. Source: Nikkan Sports 8/7/2014
Nippon Ham Fighters
- Yuki Saito started a Ni-gun game against Lotte on Thursday. He gave up three runs on four hits over four innings of work. He allowed a run in the 1st on two hits, retired the side in order in the 2nd and 3rd, and surrendered two runs on two hits and two walks in the 4th. Source: Nikkan Sports 8/7/2014