- Hayato Sakamoto blasted his tenth home run of the season on Friday and became the fourth shortstop in franchise history to record six or more seasons of at least ten home runs. The other three: Tatsuro Hirooka (seven times), Tomohiro Nioka (seven times), and Kazumasa Kono (six times). Sakamoto is the first Yomiuri shortstop to do it in six consecutive seasons -- he was tied at five with Hirooka (1957-1961) before Friday. Source: Sponichi 8/9/2014
- Former Giant Yasuyuki Nakai died of esophageal cancer at 4:30am on the 9th. He was sixty-years-old. Source: Sanspo 8/9/2014
- Takashi Toritani became the 183rd player in NPB history (eleventh in franchise history) to play in 1,500 games. Source: Daily Sports 8/9/2014
- Shintaro Fujinami joined Masaichi Kaneda (1951), Masatoshi Gondo (1954), Kiyoshi Oishi (1960), and Yutaka Enatsu (1968) as the only pitchers out of high school in Central League history to record at least 120 strikeouts in their first two seasons since turning pro. Source: Sponichi 8/9/2014
- The Tigers are 8-13 with a .225 batting average and fifteen RBI in twenty-seven games against Hiroshima's Kenta Maeda. Source: Sanspo 8/9/2014
- Brad Eldred was left out of the starting line-up on Saturday against the Hanshin Tigers because of his struggles at the plate this month. Source: Nikkan Sports 8/9/2014
- According to Sanspo, the Yanks have a strong interest in Kenta Maeda. Source: Sanspo 8/9/2014
- The Swallows notched their ninth straight game of at least ten hits on Friday and became the eleventh team in NPB history to record at least ten hits in nine or more consecutive games, first since Hanshin in 2008 (ten straight games). Shingo Kawabata became the tenth player in Central League history to record at least four consecutive modashos, first since Matt Murton in September 2013 (four straight games). The NPB record of five consecutive games is currently held by Michio Nishizawa (1954) and Tadahito Iguchi (2003). Source: Sponichi 8/9/2014 ... The Swallows extended their streak of at least ten hits to ten games on Saturday.