- The Giants recorded their twelfth extra-inning victory on Thursday. They have recorded twelve or more victories in extra innings two other times in the past: twelve in 1996 and fourteen in 2002. The fourteen victories in 2002 tied the Central League record set by Chunichi in 1967. Source: Nikkan Sports 8/22/2014, Sponichi 8/22/2014 ... The Giants picked up another victory in extra innings on Friday.
- Matt Murton, Kosuke Fukudome, and interpreter Kazuhito Oki took the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge (challenged by his cousin) after practices on Thursday. Fukudome was challenged by Murton. Among the people challenged by the three was Munenori Kawasaki. Source: Daily Sports 8/22/2014
- Junpei Ono was taken off the active roster after failing to properly waste a pitch while facing Toshiki Kurobane during Thursday's game against the Yokohama Bay Stars. Kurobane ended up recording a squeeze bunt on the pitch Ono was suppose to waste. Source: Sponichi 8/22/2014, Nikkan Sports 8/22/2014
- Hiroshima landslide relief/aid: the coaches, players, and the organization donated ten million yen to the Chugoku Shimbun Social Welfare Services Corporation and the organization donated ten million yen to Hiroshima City. Source: Sports Hochi 8/22/2014
- Yasuhiro Ogawa threw forty-five pitches from the mound at Botchan Stadium in preparation for his next start on the 24th against Yokohama. Source: Nikkan Sports 8/22/2014
- The Swallows signed an agreement to hold their fall camp in Matsuyama, Ehime for three years beginning in 2015. The Swallows have been using Matsuyama for their fall camp destination since 2004. Source: Nikkan Sports 8/22/2014
Yokohama Bay Stars
- Daisuke Miura extended his winning streak to five on Thursday. He is the fifth player in NPB history to put together streaks of five or more victories after turning forty. The record of seven was set by Masahiro Yamamoto in 2008. Miura joined Yamamoto as the only two pitchers over forty to record five victories in five consecutive games. Miura owns a 0.50 ERA over the five games. He is the only pitcher over forty to record an ERA under 1.00 during his streak. Source: Nikkan Sports 8/22/2014, Sponichi 8/22/2014 ... The other four pitchers over forty that recorded streaks of five or more victories: Masahiro Yamamoto (seven-game winning streak in 2008 at forty-three; five-game winning streak in 2010 at forty-five), Masato Yoshii (six-game winning streak in 2005 at forty), Yutaka Ono (five-game winning streak in 1996 at forty-one), and Kimiyasu Kudo (five-game winning streak in 2004 at forty-one). Source: Sanspo 8/22/2014 ... Miura picked up his fifth victory of the season on Thursday and became the nine pitcher (fifth right-handed pitcher) in NPB history to record five or more wins during the season in which they turn (or turned) forty-one. Source: Sponichi 8/22/2014