- Tomoyuki Sugano recorded thirteen victories last year in his first year and his eleventh victory of the season on Tuesday. He became the seventh pitcher in franchise history to record eleven or more victories in his first two years in the NPB, first since Tsuneo Horiuchi in 1966 (sixteen victories) and 1967 (twelve victories). Source: Sponichi 9/17/2014
- Takashi Toritani recorded his sixteenth modasho of the year on Wednesday. He tied Yoshio Yoshida for fourth on the franchise's all-time list with 114 career modashos. Source: Sponichi 9/17/2014
- Mauro Gomez tied Craig Brazell's 2010 franchise record for strikeouts in a season with 153 on Tuesday. The Central League record of 173 was set by Akinori Iwamura in 2004. The NPB record of 204 was set by Ralph Bryant in 1993. Source: Nikkan Sports 9/17/2014, Sponichi 9/17/2014 ... Gomez set a new franchise record with two more strikeouts on Wednesday.
- If Yutaka Wada returns in 2015, he may have to agree to some changes in the coaching staff, like head coach and Ni-gun manager. Source: Sponichi 9/17/2014
- Former athlete Nobuharu Asahara spent time giving some of the younger players at Naruohama tips on mental toughness, body usage, and running on Tuesday. Source: Daily Sports 9/17/2014
- The Tigers are interested in adding Chihiro Kaneko to their rotation and could offer him a four-year deal in the two billion yen range if he exercises his FA option. Source: Daily Sports 9/17/2014
- Brad Eldred set a new franchise record on Tuesday with his 151st strikeout of the season. The previous record of 150 was set by Shota Dobayashi in 2012. Source: Daily Sports 9/17/2014, Sponichi 9/17/2014
- Hitoki Iwase's streak of consecutive seasons with at least thirty saves officially ended at nine years on Wednesday. Iwase has twenty saves this season and the Dragons now have nine games left to play. The veteran has been at Ni-gun since August 9 because of tightness in his left elbow. Source: Daily Sports 9/17/2014
Yokohama Bay Stars
- Tomoko Namba, DeNA founder, former CEO, and current member of the board, is expected to become the Bay Stars' next owner. If she does, she will become the first female owner in NPB history. Current owner Makoto Haruta is planning to step down from his post at the end of the season.
Tags: Chunichi Dragons, Hanshin Tigers, Hiroshima Carp, Yakult Swallows, Yokohama Bay Stars, Yomiuri Giants