Tag: Hisayoshi Chono
by Gen on Oct.10, 2014 @ 6:14 pm, under NPB
Tags: Clutch Hero Award, Hisayoshi Chono, Yomiuri Giants
The Yomiuri Giants at home Hero Award for August went to Hisayoshi Chono (determined by fan balloting).
September 2, vs Hiroshima: he recorded a single to lead off the bottom of the 1st and came around to score on a Hayato Sakamoto three-run home run that put Yomiuri ahead, 3-1. He recorded an RBI single during his at bat in the 2nd inning that re-padded the lead by two runs to 4-2. He topped off his night with another single during his at bat in the 7th and was replaced by a pinch-runner. He picked up his eighth modasho of the year and helped the Giants to a 9-4 victory. [official announcement - box score]
Comments Off on Yomiuri Giants 2014 at home Hero Award for September/October: Hisayoshi Chono
by Gen on Sep.29, 2014 @ 1:05 am, under NPB
Tags: Hisayoshi Chono, Kazuya Fujita, Rakuten Eagles, Yomiuri Giants
- Hisayoshi Chono hurt his right knee during a game against Yakult on August 21. He was taken off the active roster on Sunday to get rest and treatment for the knee because it was still giving him problems. Source: Sponichi 9/28/2014, Sponichi 9/28/2014
- Kazuya Fujita started feeling discomfort in his right thigh while hitting in Saturday's game against Seibu. He was replaced on defense in the 1st inning of Sunday's game against Seibu as a precaution. Source: Sponichi 9/28/2014
Comments Off on [9/28/2014] Injury Report: Hisayoshi Chono (Yomiuri), Kazuya Fujita (Rakuten)
by Gen on Aug.23, 2014 @ 3:26 am, under NPB
Tags: Daiki Enokida, Hanshin Tigers, Hisayoshi Chono, Nobuhiro Matsuda, Ryoma Matsuda, Softbank Hawks, Yomiuri Giants
- Hisayoshi Chono was examined at a hospital on Friday and diagnosed with a joint contusion in his right knee. Chono suffered the injury while making a leaping catch during Thursday's game against the Yakult Swallows. Source: Nikkan Sports 8/22/2014
- Ryoma Matsuda (right elbow) pitched in a Ni-gun rehab game against Softbank on Wednesday. He entered the game in the 9th and gave up a run on two hits over an inning of work. He faced four hitters, walked none, struck out one, and topped out at 152km/h. If things continue to go smoothly, he could make the active roster in time for the Yomiuri series that begins on the 26th at Tokyo Dome. Source: Sanspo 8/22/2014
- Daiki Enokida (left shoulder) also pitched in the Ni-gun Softbank on Wednesday. It was his first rehab game. He entered the game in the 8th and did not allow a run or a hit over an inning of work. He faced three hitters, threw eight pitches, and topped out at 139km/h. Source: Sanspo 8/22/2014 ... Enokida was added to the active roster on Friday. Source: Sanspo 8/22/2014
- Nobuhiro Matsuda (right index finger) could make it back to the active roster in time for the start of the Nippon Ham series that begins on the 26th at YafuOku Dome. A lot will depend on how he does during a three-game Ni-gun series against Orix that begins on Friday (August 22). Source: Daily Sports 8/22/2014, Sponichi 8/22/2014
Comments Off on [8/22/2014] Injury Report: Hisayoshi Chono (Yomiuri), Nobuhiro Matsuda (Softbank)
by Gen on Aug.11, 2014 @ 12:00 am, under NPB
Tags: Hanshin Tigers, Hisayoshi Chono, Matt Murton, Sho Aranami, Yokohama Bay Stars, Yomiuri Giants
- Hisayoshi Chono started feeling discomfort in his lower back after his at bat in the 1st inning of Sunday's game against the Chunichi Dragons. He was removed on defense in the 3rd as a precaution. He did not go to the hospital but did get treatment. Source: Sponichi 8/10/2014
- Matt Murton was left out of the starting line-up again on Sunday because of lingering tightness in his lower body. He did make it into the game as a pinch-hitter (he grounded out to short). Source: Daily Sports 8/10/2014
Yokohama Bay Stars
- Sho Aranami left Saturday's game on defense in the 2nd inning because of tightness in his right calf. Source: Sanspo 8/10/2014
Comments Off on [8/10/2014] Injury Report: Hisayoshi Chono (Yomiuri), Matt Murton (Hanshin)
by Gen on Apr.28, 2014 @ 2:52 am, under NPB
Tags: Hanshin Tigers, Hisayoshi Chono, Kevin Youkilis, Rakuten Eagles, Yomiuri Giants, Yuta Iwasada
- Hisayoshi Chono was removed on defense in the 7th inning of Sunday's game against Hiroshima with tightness in his lower body. He asked to be taken out of the game, although the tightness does not appear to be serious. He told reporters he will be okay for the start of the Yakult series on Tuesday. Source: Nikkan Sports 4/27/2014
- 1st round draft pick Yuta Iwasada (left shoulder) threw twenty pitches to a standing catcher in the bullpen at Naruohama on Saturday. It was his first session in about two months. Source: Sanspo 4/27/2014
- Kevin Youkilis was taken off the active roster on Sunday with an injury to his left heel. He suffered the injury while playing in Saturday's game against Orix. He could probably play through the injury, but the Eagles decided to play it safe and give him time to rest. Source: Sports Hochi 4/27/2014
Comments Off on [4/27/2014] Injury Report: Hisayoshi Chono (Yomiuri), Kevin Youkilis (Rakuten)
by Gen on Dec.18, 2013 @ 11:55 pm, under NPB
Tags: Hisayoshi Chono, Yomiuri Giants
Yanase Tokyo presented Shuichi Murata with the 2013 Yanase Giants MVP Award today. Murata also got a Mercedes-Benz E250 for winning the award.
Source: Nikkan Sports 12/18/2013, official announcement
Hisayoshi Chono was examined at a hospital today because he was not feeling well and was diagnosed with the flu. He will need about a week of rest.
Source: Daily Sports 12/18/2013
The Giants announced the following uniform number changes/assignments:
Ryota Katsuki - from seventeen to thirteen
Nobutaka Imamura - from sixty-five to forty-five
Daisuke Ochi - from twenty-two to sixty-seven
Genki Kawano - from ninety-five to fifty-three
Daisuke Nakai - from sixty-one to thirty-six
Harutomo Tsuji - from ninety-three to sixty-five
Taishi Ota - from fifty-five to forty-four
Fuminori Yokogawa - from thirty-six to fifty-one
Yasunari Takagi - from thirteen to double-zero-one
Takahiko Nomaguchi - from forty-five to double-zero-three
Ko Takahashi - from sixty-seven to double-zero-seven
Kazuya Tabata - from ninety-seven to seventy-six
Kosuke Yoshihara - from one-zero-six to eighty-six
Hisashi Shirasaka - from one-hundred to ninety-seven
Shigeto Naito - from one-zero-two to ninety-eight
Koji Goto - one-zero-five
Source: official announcement
Comments Off on [12/18/2013] Yomiuri Giants News and Notes
by Gen on Mar.25, 2013 @ 11:55 pm, under NPB
Tags: Hayato Sakamoto, Hisayoshi Chono, Itaru Hashimoto, Ryosuke Miyaguni, Taishi Ota, Tomoyuki Sugano, Yomiuri Giants
Hayato Sakamoto ended workouts early today after he started feeling tightness in his lower back during warm-ups. It does not appear to be serious.
Source: Nikkan Sports 3/25/2013
The opening day starting rotation will likely be: Ryosuke Miyaguni, 1st round draft pick Tomoyuki Sugano, Tetsuya Utsumi, Hirokazu Sawamura, Toshiya Sugiuchi, and Dennis Houlton.
Source: Nikkan Sports 3/25/2013
Hisayoshi Chono showed up for early batting practice on Sunday and also worked with Tatsunori Hara on his swing.
Source: Nikkan Sports 3/25/2013
Taishi Ota and Itaru Hashimoto will likely make the opening day Ichi-gun roster. Shigeyuki Furuki, Yoshitomo Tani, and Satoshi Fukuda will likely begin the year at Ni-gun.
Source: Nikkan Sports 3/25/2013, Sponichi 3/25/2013
Former chief trainer Hirohisa Hagiwara died of lung cancer at 8:56am on Saturday. He was sixty-eight. Hagiwara was a part of the organization between 1978 and 2005.
Source: Nikkan Sports 3/25/2013
Comments Off on Yomiuri Giants News and Notes: March 25, 2013
by Gen on Apr.13, 2012 @ 2:43 pm, under NPB
Tags: Hisayoshi Chono, Yomiuri Giants, Youtube
Thursday night game. Chunichi Dragons vs Yomiuri Giants at Tokyo Dome.
Top of the 6th inning, Masahiko Morino on third, one out. Giants lead 3-1.
Kazuhiro Wada up to bat for Chunichi. Tetsuya Utsumi on the mound for Yomiuri.
There is actually a sub-story to this play...
According to Sponichi, the umpires approached the Yomiuri Giants' dugout after Chono threw out Morino at home plate to end the top of the 6th inning. While the second base ump told reporters he could not provide any comments, Yomiuri head coach Kaoru Okazaki had no problem divulging what was said: "They asked us not to show instant replays on the big screen."
The Giants are planning to discuss the matter with the NPB and have them deal with the situation.
Comments Off on Yomiuri Giants: Chono shows off his arm; umps upset at replay being shown on big screen
by Gen on Apr.02, 2012 @ 11:41 pm, under NPB
Tags: Hisayoshi Chono, Shuichi Murata, Toshiya Sugiuchi, Yomiuri Giants
Kentaro Nishimura recorded his first save since September 6, 2007 (vs Chunichi at Nagoya Dome).
Hisayoshi Chono was named the team's third Red Cross Support Leader. The Giants started the support program in 2008; the first two leaders were Shinnsouke Abe and Hayato Sakamoto.
Shuichi Murata will donate 10,000 yen to his newborn baby healthcare support fund for every RBI he records this season.
Toshiya Sugiuchi is 8-0 in his first starts of the year. He also became just the second player in franchise history to stop a team losing streak with their first start (after arriving from another team). The other player: Osamu Kubota in 1966.
TV Ratings for the home opener (Nippon TV, Kanto Region, 19:00-20:43): 11.8%.
by Gen on Mar.19, 2012 @ 11:56 pm, under NPB
Tags: Dicky Gonzalez, Hisayoshi Chono, Kentaro Nishimura, Yasunari Takagi, Yomiuri Giants
Dicky Gonzalez took part in full-squad workouts at Giants Stadium today. He is scheduled to start Tuesday's exhibition game against the Yakult Swallows.
Tatsunori Hara worked with the struggling Hisayoshi Chono at Giants Stadium today. He also spent some time with Hayato Sakamoto.
Chono: 7-for-34 (.167/.182/.262) in eleven exhibition games
Sakamoto: 7-for-42 (.206/.308/.206) in twelve exhibition games
Yasunari Takagi's mother died of liver cancer this afternoon. She was fifty-seven.
Sponichi is reporting that Kentaro Nishimura will start the season as the team closer until Yuya Kubo is fully ready to take over.
The Giants announced that Giants Academy will hold a baseball clinic on May 6 for kids between five and six years old.
Comments Off on Yomiuri Giants: March 19, 2012