Kazuo Matsui recorded the 2,000th hit of his career tonight during a game against the Softbank Hawks at Akita Stadium. The hit came in the 1st inning off Kenichi Nakata. He became the forty-sixth player in NPB history (second switch-hitter) to reach the milestone. The 2,000 hits in 1,742 games was sixth fastest among the forty-six players.
Other notes about the milestone:
- Of the forty-six players that have recorded 2,000 hits, twenty-five were right-handed, nineteen left-handed, and two switch-hitters (Isao Shibata and Matsui).
- Manny Ramirez (86 MLB hits and 2,017 NPB hits), Norihiro Nakamura (5 MLB hits and 2,101 NPB hits), and Matsui (615 MLB hits and 2,000 NPB hits) are the only players to reach 2,000 NPB hits with at least one MLB hit.
- Among Japanese players with NPB and MLB hits, only Ichiro Suzuki (4,176) and Hideki Matsui (2,643 hits) have more combined hits than Matsui.
- Matsui is one of six players in NPB history to record 2,000 hits and steal 350 bases.
- Breakdown of hits for Matsui: zero hits in 487 games, one hit in 701 games, two hits in 381 games, three hits in 156 games, four hits in 15 games, five hits in two games.
Road to 2,000 Hits
|1||04/09/1995||Nippon Ham||Shibakusa, Hiroshi||Lions Stadium|
|1,000||818||07/08/2001||Orix||Tamura, Tsutomu||Green Stadium|
|1,500||1233||07/26/2011||Softbank||Houlton, Dennis||Yahoo Dome|
|2,000||1742||07/28/2015||Softbank||Nakata, Kenichi||Akita Stadium|