Tag: Nobuhiro Matsuda
by Gen on Dec.24, 2015 @ 9:56 am, under NPB
Tags: Nobuhiro Matsuda, Softbank Hawks
According to a number of media reports in Japan, Nobuhiro Matsuda has decided to stay with the Softbank Hawks after considering his options in the United States. The Hawks are expected to make an announcement today. The two sides most likely reached an agreement base around a four-year deal worth an estimated 1.6 billion yen and the uniform number 3.
Source: Daily Sorts 12/24/2015, Nikkan Sports 12/24/2015, Sponichi 12/24/2015
[UPDATE @ 6:05pm]
Incidentally, Sanspo is reporting that the four-year deal could be worth as much as 2.5 billion yen.
Source: Sanspo 12/24/2015
by Gen on Nov.09, 2015 @ 12:27 pm, under NPB
Tags: FA Option, Nobuhiro Matsuda, Softbank Hawks
The media learned on November 9 that Nobuhiro Matsuda is planning to exercise his international FA option. Nikkan Sports is reporting that Matsuda is choosing between the Softbank Hawks and MLB. Sponichi goes into a little more detail and adds that the thirty-two-year-old infielder was happy with Softbank's offer, but wanted to exercise his option for more time to think about whether or not he wanted to pursue his dream of playing in the Majors. Sponichi also mentions the San Diego Padres as one of a number of MLB teams that might be interested in Matsuda.
Source: Daily Sports 11/9/2015, Daily Sports 11/9/2015, Sports Hochi 11/9/2015, Chunichi Sports 11/9/2015, Sponichi 11/9/2015, Nikkan Sports 11/9/2015
[UPDATE @ 6:47pm]
Tokyo Sports posted the following excerpt from a statement made by Matsuda:
Many baseball players dream of playing in the Majors. I wasn't necessarily the exception, but the Majors felt out of reach so I never imagined it would be a possibility for me.
But, it is also true that with this opportunity to represent Japan and play against teams from other countries that I developed a much stronger desire to become better.
In hearing from players with MLB experience and seeing my name in the news, I started wondering if I could actually play in the Majors, if someone out there might be willing to give a chance. If I want to find out, now is the best time.
I know it won't be easy at my age and with my skill set, but baseball lives are short and to make sure I have no regrets, I decided to exercise my FA option to gauge interest.
This option isn't about going to another team, it's about wanting to find out what MLB teams think of me and if there might be an opportunity for me to play in the Majors.
Source: Tokyo Sports 11/9/2015
Comments Off on [11/9/2015] Softbank Hawks: Nobuhiro Matsuda to exercise FA option
by Gen on Jun.17, 2015 @ 6:10 pm, under NPB
Tags: FA Option, Nobuhiro Matsuda, Softbank Hawks
Nobuhiro Matsuda (32) earned his international FA option today with nine years of service time on the active roster. "This is not a right everyone can get. I got it because the team gave me a lot of playing time. I don't know what I'm going to do. It will have to wait until after the season ends," said Matsuda.
Source: Sponichi 6/17/2015
Comments Off on [6/17/2015] Softbank Hawks: Nobuhiro Matsuda earns international FA option
by Gen on Aug.24, 2014 @ 3:01 am, under NPB
Tags: Ayumu Ishikawa, Chiba Lotte Marines, Chunichi Dragons, Frederich Cepeda, Masahiro Araki, Nobuhiro Matsuda, Softbank Hawks, Tomoyuki Sugano, Yokohama Bay Stars, Yomiuri Giants, Yulieski Gourriel
- Frederich Cepeda was taken off the active roster on Saturday with discomfort in his right elbow. Source: Daily Sports 8/23/2014
- Tomoyuki Sugano (right middle finger) canceled a scheduled bullpen session on Saturday because of discomfort in his lower back. Source: Sponichi 8/23/2014
- Masahiro Araki did not play in Saturday's game against Yomiuri at Tokyo Dome because of pain in his thigh. He may have suffered the injury during Friday's game. Source: Nikkan Sports 8/23/2014
Yokohama Bay Stars
- Yulieski Gourriel (left side) played in a Ni-gun rehab game against Yomiuri on Saturday. He got the start at second and batted clean-up. He went 1-for-5, including a two-run double. Source: Daily Sports 8/23/2014 ... Gourriel played in his first Ni-gun rehab game against Yomiuri on Friday. He was the starting designated hitter and batted fourth. He went 2-for-4 with a walk. He also played some second. He could be okay to return to the active roster in time for the Chunichi series that begins on the 26th. Source: Sponichi 8/23/2014
Chiba Lotte Marines
- Ayumu Ishikawa (right middle finger nail) started a Ni-gun rehab game against Rakuten on Saturday. He gave up an earned run on one hit and a walk over two innings of work. He faced eight batters, threw twenty-seven pitches, and struck out two. He could make it back to the active roster in time for a start during the Nippon Ham series that begins on the 29th at Tokyo Dome. Source: Sponichi 8/23/2014 ... Ishikawa threw twenty-seven pitches and topped out at 145km/h. Source: Sanspo 8/23/2014
- Nobuhiro Matsuda (right index finger) played in a Ni-gun rehab game against Orix on Friday. He got the start at third and batted second. He went 1-for-5 with a two-run home run in the 8th. Source: Nikkan Sports 8/23/2014 ... Matsuda got the start at third and batted second again in Saturday's Ni-gun rehab game against Orix. He went 1-for-4.
Comments Off on [8/23/2014] Injury Report: Frederich Cepeda, Tomoyuki Sugano (Yomiuri)
by Gen on Aug.23, 2014 @ 3:26 am, under NPB
Tags: Daiki Enokida, Hanshin Tigers, Hisayoshi Chono, Nobuhiro Matsuda, Ryoma Matsuda, Softbank Hawks, Yomiuri Giants
- Hisayoshi Chono was examined at a hospital on Friday and diagnosed with a joint contusion in his right knee. Chono suffered the injury while making a leaping catch during Thursday's game against the Yakult Swallows. Source: Nikkan Sports 8/22/2014
- Ryoma Matsuda (right elbow) pitched in a Ni-gun rehab game against Softbank on Wednesday. He entered the game in the 9th and gave up a run on two hits over an inning of work. He faced four hitters, walked none, struck out one, and topped out at 152km/h. If things continue to go smoothly, he could make the active roster in time for the Yomiuri series that begins on the 26th at Tokyo Dome. Source: Sanspo 8/22/2014
- Daiki Enokida (left shoulder) also pitched in the Ni-gun Softbank on Wednesday. It was his first rehab game. He entered the game in the 8th and did not allow a run or a hit over an inning of work. He faced three hitters, threw eight pitches, and topped out at 139km/h. Source: Sanspo 8/22/2014 ... Enokida was added to the active roster on Friday. Source: Sanspo 8/22/2014
- Nobuhiro Matsuda (right index finger) could make it back to the active roster in time for the start of the Nippon Ham series that begins on the 26th at YafuOku Dome. A lot will depend on how he does during a three-game Ni-gun series against Orix that begins on Friday (August 22). Source: Daily Sports 8/22/2014, Sponichi 8/22/2014
Comments Off on [8/22/2014] Injury Report: Hisayoshi Chono (Yomiuri), Nobuhiro Matsuda (Softbank)
by Gen on Aug.08, 2014 @ 12:17 am, under NPB
Tags: Chunichi Dragons, Daiki Enokida, Daisuke Fujimura, Hanshin Tigers, Hitoki Iwase, Kazuhiro Wada, Nobuhiro Matsuda, Softbank Hawks, Yakult Swallows, Yamato, Yomiuri Giants, Yoshinori Sato, Yoshiyuki Kamei
- Yoshiyuki Kamei hurt his left leg while trying to cross the plate in the 6th inning. He was removed on defense after the inning. Daisuke Fujimura hurt his right side when he grounded out to the pitcher during a pinch-hit at bat in the 5th. Both players will be examined on Friday. Source: Sponichi 8/7/2014, Jiji Press 8/8/2014
- Daiki Enokida left Thursday's game with discomfort in his left shoulder. Source: Nikkan Sports 8/7/2014
- Yamato (left side) started taking batting practice against a pitching machine that throws curves on Wednesday. His also included playing catch at a distance of about forty meters and fielding practice. Source: Sponichi 8/7/2014
- If Kazuhiro Wada (right scaphoid bone) needs surgery, he will most likely miss the rest of the season. If he can get by on rehab, he might be able to make it back to the active roster before the end of the season. Source: Sponichi 8/7/2014 ... Wada will not require surgery, but will have to wear a brace for four to six month. He might end up needing close to two months for a full recovery. Source: Sanspo 8/7/2014, Nikkan Sports 8/7/2014
- Hitoki Iwase left Wednesday's game with tightness in his left elbow. He arrived at Nagoya Dome on Thursday after an examination at a hospital in Nagoya. "It wasn't as bad as I thought. I will stay with the Ichi-gun team and see how things go. It just happened yesterday so I haven't done any throwing yet. I will again tomorrow," said Iwase. Source: Sanspo 8/7/2014, Nikkan Sports 8/7/2014
- Yoshinori Sato (right shoulder) started a Ni-gun game against Yomiuri on Wednesday. He pitched five innings and gave up three runs (all earned) on three hits and four walks. He faced twenty-one hitters, threw seventy-four pitches, and struck out two. He also surrendered a two-run home run to Tomoya Inzen in the 1st inning. He got the win, his first since September 3, 2011. Source: Sponichi 8/7/2014
- The brace on Nobuhiro Matsuda's right index finger was removed during an examination at a Fukuoka hospital on the 5th. He should be able to resume throwing in about a week. He could play in his first Ni-gun rehab game in around two weeks. Source: Nikkan Sports 8/7/2014
Comments Off on [8/7/2014] Injury Report: Kazuhiro Wada (Chunichi), Daiki Enokida (Hanshin)
by Gen on Jul.26, 2014 @ 3:18 am, under NPB
Tags: Chunichi Dragons, Hector Luna, Hideki Okajima, Kazuhiro Hatakeyama, Nobuhiro Matsuda, Ryosuke Hirata, Softbank Hawks, Yakult Swallows
- Hector Luna (right elbow) could play in his first Ni-gun rehab game on August 2 against Hiroshima. Ryosuke Hirata (left ankle) is slated to play in his first rehab game on the 29th against Softbank. Source: Nikkan Sports 7/26/2014
- Kazuhiro Hatakeyama (left hamstring) played in his first Ni-gun rehab game on Friday. He got the start at first and batted clean-up against Yokohama. He went 1-for-3. He will play in two more Ni-gun rehab games over the weekend. If there are no problems, he could rejoin the Ichi-gun team in time for the start of the Hanshin series that begins on the 29th. Source: Nikkan Sports 7/25/2014, Sponichi 7/25/2014
- Hideki Okajima was diagnosed with a strain in his left calf on Friday. He will most likely require two to three weeks for a full recovery. Source: Sponichi 7/25/2014, Nikkan Sports 7/26/2014
- Nobuhiro Matsuda (right index finger) recovery is taking longer than expected. He might be about two weeks behind schedule. He might not be able to rejoin the Ichi-gun team until late-August. Source: Nikkan Sports 7/25/2014
Comments Off on [7/25/2014] Injury Report: Hector Luna (Chunichi), Nobuhiro Matsuda (Softbank)
by Gen on Jul.10, 2014 @ 3:39 pm, under NPB
Tags: All-Star Game, Ginji, Nobuhiro Matsuda, Rakuten Eagles, Softbank Hawks
The NPB announced that Rakuten's Ginji will be replacing Softbank's Nobuhiro Matsuda on the Pacific League roster.
Source: official announcement (NPB), official announcement (Rakuten)
Comments Off on [7/10/2014] Mazda All-Star Series 2014: Ginji to replace Nobuhiro Matsuda on PL roster
by Gen on Jul.09, 2014 @ 11:27 pm, under NPB
Tags: All-Star Game, Nobuhiro Matsuda, Softbank Hawks
The Softbank Hawks announced today that Nobuhiro Matsuda will withdraw from the 2014 All-Star Series because of his fractured right index finger. The withdrawal means he will also have to sit the first ten games after the All-Star break.
I am sorry to all the fans and players that selected me to the All-Star roster. I am filled with regret. I want to focus on making it back [to the active roster] as soon as I can. I am disappointed that I will not be able to participate this year. I will do my best so I can be selected again next season for the fifth consecutive year.
Source: official announcement, Sponichi 7/9/2014
Comments Off on [7/9/2014] Mazda All-Star Series 2014: Nobuhiro Matsuda to withdraw from series
by Gen on Jul.09, 2014 @ 2:29 am, under NPB
Tags: Kenji Otonari, Michel Abreu, Nippon Ham Fighters, Nobuhiro Matsuda, Seibu Lions, Softbank Hawks, Takeya Nakamura
- Takeya Nakamura did not play in Tuesday's game against Lotte out of concern for pain in his right elbow. Source: Sponichi 7/8/2014
- Nobuhiro Matsuda (right index finger) began his rehab at the Ni-gun Saitozaki facilities on Tuesday. Source: Sponichi 7/8/2014
- Kenji Otonari pitched in a Ni-gun rehab game against Chunichi at YafuOku Dome on Tuesday. He entered the game in the 6th and gave up a run on a hit (a solo home run to Alexis Gomez) over three innings of work. It was his first game at YafuOku since May 31, 2013. Source: Nikkan Sports 7/8/2014, Sports Hochi 7/8/2014
Nippon Ham Fighters
- Michel Abreu (lower back) apparently dropped about five kilograms while training and rehabbing in Florida. Source: Nikkan Sports 7/8/2014
Comments Off on [7/8/2014] Injury Report: Takeya Nakamura (Seibu), Nobuhiro Matsuda (Softbank)