The Nippon Ham Fighters held a retirement ceremony for Satoshi Nakajima after their game against Lotte on October 1.
A few notes from various sources:
- He was added to the active roster on October 1.
- A number of former teammates, like Michihiro Ogasawara, Shinya Tsuruoka, and Atsunori Inaba, sent him messages and flowers.
- He has no regrets and feels he was able to play until he had nothing left.
- He decided last year that this would be his last season.
- He made it into the game as a defensive replacement at catcher in the top of the 9th inning.
- Shota Ono presented him with flowers. Hisashi Yamada and Micheal Nakamura were special guests at the retirement ceremony.
- He was tossed into the air by teammates three times.
- Memorable moment: winning pennants, like with Orix in 1995 and Nippon Ham in 2006.
[UPDATE 11/1 @ 9:51am]
Nakajima will be working in the front office, directly under the general manager. He will help the team during spring camp in Arizona and will then remain in the United States working with the San Diego Padres. He will also be checking on talent.
Source: Nikkan Sports 10/31/2015
[UPDATE 11/2 @ 9:21pm]
The Fighters held a press conference on November 2 to formally announce Nakajima 's retirement and his addition to the front office as a special assistant to the general manager. His first assignment will be to learn more about MLB operations by spending time as a visiting coach with the San Diego Padres next year.
Source: official announcement