Tag: Tony Barnette
by Gen on Jun.19, 2014 @ 3:36 am, under NPB
Tags: Atsunori Inaba, Hanshin Tigers, Kensuke Kondo, Nippon Ham Fighters, Seibu Lions, Shogo Yagi, Takeya Nakamura, Tony Barnette, Tsuyoshi Nishioka, Yakult Swallows
- Tsuyoshi Nishioka played in a Ni-gun game gainst Rakuten on Wednesday and got the start at third. It was the first time he played defense in a rehab game since his injury. He batted lead-off and went 1-for-4. Source: Sponichi 6/18/2014 ... Nishioka was originally scheduled to get three at bats on Wednesday, but pushed to play through nine innings. He handled six chances at third without any problems. Source: Nikkan Sports 6/18/2014 ... Nishioka went 1-for-2 in Tuesday's Ni-gun game against Rakuten: single to right; walk then stole second; fly out to deep left. Source: Sponichi 6/18/2014
- Tony Barnette (left knee) worked out with the Ichi-gun players at Jingu Gaien on Wednesday. The Swallows are expected to add him to the active roster on Thursday. Source: Nikkan Sports 6/18/2014
- Takeya Nakamura left Wednesday's game against Chunichi on defense in the 5th because of discomfort in his right elbow. He is not scheduled for a hospital examination. The Lions will see how things go with ice treatment. Source: Sponichi 6/18/2014
Nippon Ham Fighters
- Shogo Yagi had surgery to treat an acromioclavicular joint injury in his left shoulder. He suffered the injury during practices on the 13th. He will require about three months for a full recovery. Source: Sanspo 6/18/2014
- Atsunori Inaba (left knee) missed a Ni-gun game against Lotte on Tuesday because of lower back pain caused by fatigue. The back pain started on the 11th. It may have been because he was favoring the left knee without knowing it. Source: Nikkan Sports 6/18/2014
- Kensuke Kondo felt discomfort in the back of his left thigh while running the bases during a game against Yakult on the 15th. He was examined at a hospital in Sapporo and diagnosed with a mild strain. He was taken off the active roster on Tuesday to give the injury more time to heal. Source: Nikkan Sports 6/18/2014
by Gen on Jun.08, 2014 @ 11:52 pm, under NPB
Tags: Hanshin Tigers, Kenta Imamiya, Nippon Ham Fighters, Shohei Otani, Softbank Hawks, Tony Barnette, Tsuyoshi Nishioka, Yakult Swallows
- Tsuyoshi Nishioka took eighty-two swings during outdoor batting practice at Koshien on Saturday and hit three over the fence. Source: Sanspo 6/8/2014 ... Nishioka told reporters he wants to be at 100 percent when he returns to the active roster, but is okay to play Ni-gun games at seventy to eighty percent. He could be fairly close to playing in his first Ni-gun rehab game. Source: Sponichi 6/8/2014
- Tony Barnette (left knee) could join the Ichi-gun roster in time for the Nippon Ham series that begins on the 14th. Source: Sanspo 6/8/2014
- Kenta Imamiya banged his face against the ground as he made an impressive catch in the 7th inning. He leapt and managed to glove a drive off Hiroki Uemoto's bat. The ball bounced out of the glove, but he managed to re-catch it while falling forward, headfirst. He was taken off the field for treatment, but was able to return. Source: Sanspo 6/8/2014
Nippon Ham Fighters
- Shohei Otani sprained his left ankle during a game against Hiroshima on the 4th. He is still scheduled to make his next start on Wednesday (June 11) against Yomiuri at Sapporo Dome. Since pitching is his top priority this season, Hideki Kuriyama may sit him as a position player to keep him off the ankle until his next start. Source: Nikkan Sports 6/8/2014, Sponichi 6/8/2014
by Gen on Jun.03, 2014 @ 6:18 pm, under NPB
Tags: Chunichi Dragons, Hanshin Tigers, Hirokazu Sawamura, Masahiko Morino, Tony Barnette, Tsuyoshi Nishioka, Wladimir Balentien, Yakult Swallows, Yomiuri Giants
- Hirokazu Sawamura (right shoulder) started a Ni-gun game against Lotte on Tuesday. He pitched five innings and gave up four runs on six hits. He also struck out five and walked three. He threw seventy-five pitches and topped out at 148km/h. Source: Nikkan Sports 6/3/2014, Sponichi 6/3/2014, Sponichi 6/3/2014
- Tsuyoshi Nishioka took fielding practice at Koshien on Tuesday for the first time since he suffered multiple injuries when he collided with teammate Kosuke Fukudome on defense during a game against Yomiuri at Tokyo Dome on March 30. He told reporters most of his major aches and pains were gone and that he was at about seventy to eighty percent. Source: Sponichi 6/3/2014
- Masahiko Morino was having problems with his neck on Monday -- he slept on it wrong. He told reporters he was not sure about Tuesday's game against Lotte, but he was in the starting line-up at first. Source: Daily Sports 6/3/2014
- Wladimir Balentien got treatment for his right Achilles' tendon on Monday. Source: Sanspo 6/3/2014
- Tony Barnette (left knee) could rejoin the Ichi-gun team as early as the 11th. Source: Sanspo 6/3/2014
by Gen on Apr.04, 2014 @ 8:17 pm, under NPB
Tags: Tony Barnette, Yakult Swallows
The Yakult Swallows took Tony Barnette off the active roster today with an injury to his left knee.
Barnette suffered a left knee injury while pitching against Hiroshima on Wednesday. He was examined at a hospital and diagnosed with a partial tear in the posterior cruciate ligament. He will require about two months for a full recovery.
Source: Nikkan Sports 4/4/2014
by Gen on May.23, 2013 @ 12:39 am, under NPB
Tags: Hanshin Tigers, Kazuhisa Makita, Ryoji Aikawa, Seibu Lions, Takahiro Arai, Takeaki Tokuyama, Tony Barnette, Yakult Swallows
Kazuhisa Makita was helped off the field after he took a batted ball off his right leg in the 1st inning of Wednesday night's game against Hiroshima. He was removed from the game after coaches watched him take his warm-ups before the 2nd inning. He was later taken to a hospital in Tokorozawa where he was diagnosed with a bruise. He is considered day-to-day (the team will wait for the swelling to go away before deciding on is next start).
Source: Sports Hochi 5/22/2013, Sponichi 5/22/2013
Takeaki Tokuyama popped a blister on his right middle finger during his start against Nippon Ham on Wednesday.
Source: Sponichi 5/22/2013
Ryoji Aikawa could return to the active roster in time for the upcoming Softbank series at Jingu Stadium (May 25-26). Aikawa dislocated his shoulder during a game against Yokohama on April 6. He played in his first rehab game on the May 12.
Tony Barnette pitched in a Ni-gun game against Nippon Ham on Wednesday and tossed a shutout inning in relief. This was his first rehab game since he suffered a strain in his right oblique.
Source: Sponichi 5/22/2013
Takahiro Arai was removed on defense in the 12th inning of Wednesday's game against Lotte after he hurt his right ankle while playing defense in the 11th -- Toshiaki Imae hit a ground ball to short and came into contact with Arai's right leg while running to first. He received ice treatment after the game and was walking around on his own. He told reporters that he was probably going to be ok.
Source: Nikkan Sports 5/22/2013
by Gen on Apr.18, 2013 @ 9:35 pm, under NPB
Tags: Chunichi Dragons, Ryo Hirai, Ryosuke Oguma, Sho Aranami, Tony Barnette, Yakult Swallows, Yokohama Bay Stars, Yuhei Takai
The Yakult Swallows took Tony Barnette off the active roster today with a right flank injury. Barnette complained of pain in his right side after his outing on Wednesday. He was examined at a Tokyo hospital and diagnosed with a strain in his right internal oblique muscle. He will require about a week of rest; there is no timetable on his full recovery.
Yuhei Takai (hurt right knee while playing defense on Wednesday) and Ryo Hirai (right shoulder pain) were also taken off the active roster today.
Source: Sponichi 4/18/2013, Nikkan Sports 4/18/2013
Ryosuke Oguma (Chunichi) was taken off the active roster today with pain in his right shoulder.
Source: Nikkan Sports 4/18/2013
Sho Aranami will be examined at a hospital in Yokohama on Friday. He likely suffered a fracture in his right cheek bone when attempting to steal third in the 7th inning of Wednesday night's game.
Source: Daily Sports 4/18/2013
by Gen on Dec.15, 2012 @ 9:54 pm, under NPB
Tags: Lastings Milledge, Tony Barnette, Wladimir Balentien, Yakult Swallows
According to a number of reports, the Yakult Swallows have signed Wladimir Balentien (28), Lastings Milledge (27), and Tony Barnette (29) to multi-year deals.
Balentien: four-year deal - US$950,000 in 2013 and US$7,500,000 over the final three years (2014-2016)
Milledge: three-year deal - US$1,100,000 in 2013 and US$3,300,000 over the final two years (2014-2015) with an option for 2016
Barnette: two-year deal worth US$3,200,000
Source: Daily Sports 12/15/2012, Sports Hochi 12/15/2012, Jiji Press 12/15/2012
UPDATE 12/16 @ 11:42am - A few more details on the contracts... The Swallows exercised 2013 options on both Balentien and Milledge, so their deals are actually three years and two years, respectively. Nikkan Sports mentions that each of the deals include performance bonuses.
Source: Sponichi 12/15/2012, Nikkan Sports 12/15/2012
by Gen on Oct.16, 2012 @ 9:53 am, under NPB
Tags: Akinori Iwamura, Lastings Milledge, Orlando Roman, Tony Barnette, Wladimir Balentien, Yakult Swallows
According to Nikkan Sports, there is a good chance the Yakult Swallows will offer Akinori Iwamura (33) a contract after the twelve-team tryouts.
Yakult is also planning to bring Wladimir Balentien, Lastings Milledge, Tony Barnette, and Orlando Roman back next season. Things do not look quite as good for Chang-Yong Lim (coming back from right elbow surgery in July).
Source: Nikkan Sports 10/16/2012
by Gen on Jul.27, 2012 @ 7:35 pm, under NPB
Tags: Hiroshima Carp, Scott Mathieson, Tony Barnette, Yakult Swallows, Yomiuri Giants, Yoshiyuki Ishihara
Tony Barnette did not participate in pre-game practices today and he is not available to pitch tonight -- his lower back is barking and it seems it might be a while before he is ready to pitch again. The Swallows will most likely take Barnette off the active roster on Saturday. Source: Nikkan Sports 7/27/2012, Sponichi 7/27/2012
Scott Mathieson was taken off the active roster today because of discomfort in his right elbow (not for extra work at Ni-gun as earlier mentioned). The Giants will monitor Mathieson over the next ten days before deciding what steps to take. Source: Sponichi 7/27/2012
Pitching coach Kazuhisa Kawaguchi guessed Mathieson could miss about a month (wait for the pain to go away, re-evaluation, and rehab/re-strengthening). Source: Daily Sports 7/27/2012
The Carp took Yoshiyuki Ishihara off the active roster today with a right hamstring injury -- he suffered it during Thursday's game against the Yakult Swallows. Source: Sponichi 7/27/2012
by Gen on Feb.12, 2012 @ 11:59 pm, under NPB
Tags: Tony Barnette, Yakult Swallows, YSSpring
|Bullpen Sessions / Batting Practice
- 2nd round draft pick Ryohei Kiya faced Ryosuke Morioka, Keisuke Mizuta, and Hiroyasu Tanaka during batting practice and allowed six could-be hits on fifty-two pitches. (Sponichi, Sanspo)
- 4th round draft pick Yuya Ota tossed batting practice and allowed six could-be hits on forty-eight pitches. Otao struggled with his control and even hit Tetsuto Yamada on the the left knee. (Sanspo)
Tony Barnette was scheduled to toss batting practice today but his session was canceled because of a crick in his neck (slept on it funny). He was also allowed to cut his practices short as a precaution.
2nd round draft pick Ryohei Kiya and 4th round draft pick Yuya Ota are scheduled to pitch during a practice game against LG on February 16.
With their recent mini outbreak of the flu, the Swallows will remind players, staff to wash their hands, gargle, and wear surgical masks when stepping outside.
====== UPDATE 2/13 @ 1:38am
The Swallows held a baseball clinic at Urasoe Stadium after practices on Sunday for about 300 kids from fifteen teams.
Baseball analyst Mitsuo Tatsukawa caught four of Yoshinori Sato's pitches in the bullpen on Sunday.