Tag: Wily Mo Pena
by Gen on May.06, 2014 @ 6:19 pm, under NPB
Tags: Orix Buffaloes, Wily Mo Pena
Wily Mo Pena blasted two home runs in today's game against the Chiba Lotte Marines. The second of his two home runs was a shot that hit the ceiling at Kyocera Dome before returning to the field. The Buffaloes estimated the flight distance at 150 meters (or about 490 feet).
Source: Daily Sports 5/6/2014
by Gen on May.05, 2014 @ 11:54 pm, under NPB
Tags: Dae-Ho Lee, Hanshin Tigers, Hiroki Uemoto, Orix Buffaloes, Softbank Hawks, Wily Mo Pena, Wladimir Balentien, Yakult Swallows, Yoshinori Sato
- Wladimir Balentien was left out of the starting line-up on Monday because of tightness in the adductor muscle in his right leg. Source: Daily Sports 5/5/2014
- Yoshinori Sato threw twenty pitches, all fastballs, in the bullpen on Sunday. It was his first session with a squatting catcher since spring camp. Source: Sanspo 5/5/2014
- Dae-Ho Lee fouled a ball off his left foot during pre-game batting practice on Sunday. He made the starting line-up against Rakuten, but was replaced on defense in the 6th as a precaution (there was still some swelling). Source: Daily Sports 5/5/2014
- Wily Mo Pena was replaced by a pinch-hitter in the 5th of Monday's game against Lotte because of pain in his lower back. Pena may have tweaked the area when he swung the bat during his plate appearance in the 3rd. The Buffaloes will wait to see how he is feeling on Tuesday before deciding what to do next. Source: Sponichi 5/5/2014
by Gen on Apr.08, 2014 @ 11:53 pm, under NPB
Tags: Orix Buffaloes, Seibu Lions, Shinnosuke Abe, Takeya Nakamura, Wily Mo Pena, Yomiuri Giants
- The bruise Shinnosuke Abe suffered when he took an HBP off his left calf on the 5th was apparently worse than originally diagnosed and may keep him out of the starting line-up for a little while. Source: Daily Sports 4/8/2014 ... Abe could be available as a pinch-hitter. Source: Sponichi 4/8/2014
- Takeya Nakamura might not make it to the active roster until some during or after May. Nakamura has suffered a couple of setbacks that have made it difficult for the Lions to set a timetable. He was slowed by discomfort in his left side in February, appeared ready to return to action in March, only to begin complaining of back tightness. He then got a fever. As of now, he is still about two weeks away from swinging the bat a full strength. Once he is able to take full swings, he will most likely need about two weeks of playing time at Ni-gun. Source: Sponichi 4/8/2014
- Wily Mo Pena was replaced by a pinch-runner as a precaution after he took an HBP off his left wrist in the 8th inning of tonight's game against Lotte. He told reporters he should be okay for Wednesday's game. Source: Sponichi 4/8/2014
by Gen on Mar.20, 2014 @ 11:55 pm, under NPB
Tags: Chiba Lotte Marines, Naoya Masuda, Nippon Ham Fighters, Orix Buffaloes, Seibu Lions, Shota Ono, Takashi Ogino, Takeya Nakamura, Wily Mo Pena, Yoshitomo Tani
- Takeya Nakamura (left side) did not swing at any of the five pitches he saw when he struck out looking in his first, and only, at bat on Wednesday. Source: Sponichi 3/20/2014
Chiba Lotte Marines
- Naoya Masuda may not be ready for opening day because of discomfort in his right elbow. He has not pitched since the 9th and will continue his workouts at Ni-gun. Takashi Ogino (right knee) will also be sent down to Ni-gun. Source: Sponichi 3/20/2014
- Wily Mo Pena (right side) participated in Ichi-gun practices on Thursday. He is expected to play in Friday's exhibition game against Hanshin at Kyocera Dome. Yoshitomo Tani (left foot) will join the Ichi-gun team on Friday. Source: Sponichi 3/20/2014
Nippon Ham Fighters
- Shota Ono (left ankle sprain) played in a Ni-gun rehab game against Seibu on Wednesday. He was the starting catcher and batted second. He went 0-for-2: 2B8/9, BB. This was his first game since he sprained his ankle while running the bases against Lotte on February 20. He is still having a little trouble running, but has not given up on the possibility of making the opening day roster. Source: Sports Hochi 3/20/2014 ... Ono is slated to rejoin the Ichi-gun team on Friday. Source: Nikkan Sports 3/20/2014
by Gen on Mar.13, 2014 @ 12:23 am, under NPB
Tags: Aarom Baldiris, Hanshin Tigers, Mauro Gomez, Nobutaka Imamura, Orix Buffaloes, Takahiro Arai, Takashi Toritani, Tetsuya Yamaguchi, Wily Mo Pena, Yokohama Bay Stars, Yomiuri Giants, Yoshio Itoi
- Nobutaka Imamura threw forty-three pitches in the bullpen on Tuesday. He told reporters he no longer had concerns about his left shoulder. Source: Tokyo Sports 3/12/2014 ... Imamura pitched an inning during a Kyoiku League game against Rakuten on Wednesday. He retired the side in order and topped out at 145km/h. Source: Nikkan Sports 3/12/2014
- Tetsuya Yamaguchi (left shoulder) is slated to rejoin the Ichi-gun team on the 15th, in time for an exhibition game against Softbank at YafuOku Dome. Source: Sanspo 3/12/2014
- Takashi Toritani and Takahiro Arai did not play in Wednesday's exhibition game against Hiroshima because of back tightness. Their conditions are not considered serious. Source: Sponichi 3/12/2014
- Mauro Gomez (right knee) took batting practice at Koshien Stadium for the first time on Wednesday. He swung the bat fifty-eight times and hit four over the fence. The Ichi-gun coaches had a chance to watch the session. Source: Nikkan Sports 3/12/2014 ... Gomez could play in an exhibition game on the 15th against Yokohama, depending on how he does during a batting practice scrimmage on the 14th. Source: Sponichi 3/12/2014 ... Gomez ran the bases with cleats for the first time during practices at Naruohama on Tuesday. Source: Sanspo 3/12/2014
Yokohama Bay Stars
- Aarom Baldiris did not participate in general workouts at Hotto Motto Field Kobe on Wednesday because of tightness in his lower back. He will sit Thursday's game against Yakult and is expected to return to the line-up on Saturday against Hanshin. Source: Sponichi 3/12/2014
- The Buffaloes are not planning to take Yoshio Itoi and Wily Mo Pena (right sides) on their road trip to the Kanto and Nagoya region between the 14th and 19th. Teppei (let thigh) will rejoin the team on the 18th for the Chunichi game at Nagoya Dome. Source: Daily Sports 3/12/2014
by Gen on Mar.11, 2014 @ 12:31 am, under NPB
Tags: Hanshin Tigers, Mauro Gomez, Orix Buffaloes, Shohei Tateyama, Takumi Akiyama, Wily Mo Pena, Yakult Swallows
- Takumi Akiyama took a batted ball off his right arm during workouts on Sunday (he was standing in foul territory on the first base side during batting practice). He was scratched from his start against Yomiuri on Monday as a precaution. Source: Sanspo 3/10/2014
- Mauro Gomez (right knee) took twenty-eight swings (forty-three pitches) during batting practice at Naruohama on Monday and recorded six could-be hits, including two that went over the fence. Hiroya Shimamoto was the batting practice pitcher. Source: Sanpso 3/10/2014, Nikkan Sports 3/10/2014, Daily Sports 3/10/2014 ... Gomez could be the designated hitter in Saturday's (March 15) Kyoiku League game against Chunichi. Source: Sponichi 3/10/2014
- Junji Ogawa told reporters on Monday that Shohei Tateyama (right elbow) will not be ready for the start of the regular season. Ogawa is hoping Tateyama will be able to make it back in May. Source: Sponichi 3/10/2014
- Wily Mo Pena told Tokyo Sports he was informed during a hospital visit that he would require about a month for a full recovery from his right side injury. "I just started swinging the bat at forty to fifty percent. If I am feeling good, I can start taking batting practice soon and work on my swing. After that, I would like to play in some Ni-gun games," said Pena. Source: Tokyo Sports 3/10/2014
by Gen on Feb.02, 2014 @ 2:34 am, under NPB
Tags: Esteban German, OBSpring, Orix Buffaloes, Wily Mo Pena
- Yoshio Itoi - 101 swings, twenty-two over the fence
Source: Nikkan Sports 2/1/2014
|Bullpen Sessions / Batting Practice
- 1st round draft pick Kazumasa Yoshida - thirty-five pitches; about half of the pitches were breaking balls
- Takahiro Matsuba - batting practice - two hitters
Source: Nikkan Sports 2/1/2014, Sanspo 2/1/2014
The Buffaloes were presented with a number of local food items, including eight kilograms of Miyako beef, two kilograms of sea grapes, and two kilograms of prawns, during opening ceremonies on Saturday.
Source: Nikkan Sports 2/1/2014
Wily Mo Pena spent time on his lower body this off-season. He did a lot of running and got to a point where he was able to squat 600 pounds (roughly 272 kilograms).
Source: Daily Sports 2/1/2014
Hiroshi Moriwaki is thinking of using Esteban German at either second or third. If Yuniesky Betancourt can play third, German could move to second.
Source: Sponichi 2/1/2014
The media learned on Friday that Ryoichi Adachi (26) filed marriage papers with a twenty-three-year-old woman from Fukuoka on January 18.
Source: Sports Hochi 2/1/2014
by Gen on Dec.11, 2013 @ 8:13 pm, under NPB
Tags: Orix Buffaloes, Wily Mo Pena
The Orix Buffaloes announced today that they agreed to terms with thirty-one-year-old outfielder Wily Mo Pena. The two sides agreed on a one-year deal worth an estimated 120 million yen plus incentives.
Source: official announcement, Daily Sports 12/11/2013
by Gen on Dec.08, 2013 @ 1:10 pm, under NPB
Tags: Orix Buffaloes, Wily Mo Pena
According to a report by Sportsnets' Ben Nicholson-Smith, Wily Mo Pena signed a one-year deal with the Orix Buffaloes. A snip:
Former MLB outfielder Wily Mo Pena has agreed to sign a one-year contract with the Orix Buffaloes of Japan's Nippon Professional Baseball, an industry source told sportsnet.ca. The 31-year-old free agent drew interest from both sides of the Pacific before agreeing to terms on the deal, which is valued at $1.5 million.
Source: Sportsnet 12/7/2013 via Daily Sports 12/8/2013
[UPDATE 12/9 @ 12:51pm]
Reports from today indicate that the two sides are on the verge of finalizing a deal. An announcement will likely be made within the next few days. The Buffaloes are hoping Pena will be able to replace Dae-Ho Lee in the line-up.
Source: Sports Hochi 12/9/2013, Daily Sports 12/9/2013
by Gen on Oct.15, 2013 @ 10:06 pm, under NPB
Tags: Brian Falkenborg, Full, Softbank, Vicente Padilla, Wily Mo Pena, Yao-Hsun Yang
The Softbank Hawks announced that they are parting ways with Brian Falkenborg (35), Wily Mo Pena (31), Vicente Padilla (36), and Yao-Hsun Yang (30).
Source: official announcement